Friday, July 2, 2010

Perspective

While battling the stomach flu the other day, I was struck with two thoughts. First, thank God, the cleaners were just here yesterday and left me with a fresh clean bowl to say my prayers to the porcelain gods. Second, this really sucks! Every bathroom run was an emergency session. The dry heaving, the sharp pains, the cramps, the runs, all left me begging and praying for life to end. But then I told myself - "Nope, don't run away from it (it's actually best to just stay near the toilet=). Seriously, I told myself to remember how miserable I was. Remember this! Because tomorrow when this stomach flu has passed, will be the happiest day in a very long while. Suffering gives you a great perspective.

Happiness is all relative right? All I know is that the day after the stomach flu felt like Christmas morning. I was so happy to be back with the living. I was ready and willing to do my fatherly duties, deal with the remodel, pick up slack at work, and just happy to be.

My life is a blessing that I at times I take for granted rather than appreciate. Life is great and I sometimes don't know it. But then I'm brought to my hands and knees by my kids' stomach flu, which btw, I thought I dodged like the matrix. Then all at once, I am reminded that I have a lot to be thankful for, least of which is the toilet paper and running water we seem to just take for granted. Try getting sick in India - squat toilets and hand washing. Yeah, that'll give you perspective.

As my buddy Ray said to me let's just take a trip to India to remind you how good we have it here. Yeah, I admit, we're spoiled here. Life is too good here in the great US of A and we don't fully appreciate it all the time.

But for the moment, as I'm writing this without the urgency of running to the toilet, I'm happy and thankful for the perspective. But I hope the next reminder won't be this dramatic. But if it is, I won't run away from it. I'll accept the misery and listen to the lesson she has to teach.

24 comments:

清鴻 said...

It takes all kinds to make a world.............................................................

秋娥秋娥 said...

一個人的價值,應該看他貢獻了什麼,而不是他取得了什麼............................................................

黃怡 said...

走過路過~不能錯過~哈哈............................................................

吳婷婷 said...

Thank you very much for such useful informaion ● 3●..................................................................

茂慧茂慧 said...

一時的錯誤不算什麼,錯而不改才是一生中永遠且最大的錯誤............................................................

懿綺懿綺 said...

一棵樹除非在春天開了花,否則難望在秋天結果。

陳韋夏陳韋夏益東富益東富 said...

i consder your artical is so nice!............................................................

隆軒隆hcox軒泉軒泉 said...

開懷幸福的生活,是每個人的夢想~~希望大家都能夠實現!............................................................

吳婷婷 said...

人生最重要的一件事,就是從生活中認識你自己。......................................................

琬安琬安 said...

期待期待,期待您的更新啊!............................................................

琬安琬安 said...

認識自己,是發現妳的真性格、掌握妳的命運、創照你前程的根源。.......................................................

徐俊賴靜雯賢 said...

覺得自己能不能做到,其實只在一念之間。.......................................................

珮鄧韋 said...

出遊不拘名勝,有景就是好的..................................................................

佳陳容 said...

獨居時,要反省自己的過錯;在社會大眾之間,則要忘卻別人的過失。..................................................

佳呈均慧 said...

No pains, no gains..................................................................

小杰 said...

Cast not the first stone. ............................................................

偉曹琬 said...

I love readding, and thanks for your artical.............................................................

麗王王珠 said...

寂寞又無聊 看到你的BLOG 加油喔!!............................................................

翊翊翊翊張瑜翊翊翊 said...

回應是最大的支持^^y~~~甘吧嗲............................................................

王辛江淑萍康 said...

相逢即是有緣~~留個言問候一聲,祝您平安順利...............................................................

王辛江淑萍康 said...

第一次來這裡 愛上你的部落格 感謝你的分享...............................................................

于庭吳 said...

唯有用熱情、用智慧去觀察事物,這事物才會把他的秘密,洩漏給我們......................................................................

洪勳劉耀德劉耀德華 said...

你文章很棒的~繼續分享給大家~~~~..................................................

灏群 said...

愛情是盲目的,但婚姻恢復了它的視力。......................................................................